Sign in to follow this  
Ser_Fergus

The 'Barring of myself'

So I've created this thread so I can have somewhere to put all my thoughts about why I have not joined nova diplo in one place. There's been a metric fuckton of argument over it in the last few weeks, and I think it's about time to re-institute my 'no claims without screenshots' policy. You say person 'x' said 'y', you better be willing to use the search function to prove it. I will *probably* add to this at some point, because I've had to hurry this out the door to make a due date. 

So look, here’s the key fundamental of what I want; I don’t want to be in a diplo where the person in power is both wielding authority, and beholden to none. Part of why I like the Salty Ds, is that it’s explicitly bors creating something that is entirely laissez-faire. He doesn’t have grand plans, rules or anything like that. It’s not what diplo is right now, it’s what diplo was in about 2013. You can see this in the system I helped build; there’s no one there who holds all the cards. But both nova diplo and diplo gaming are an evolution of that; they have events, grand plans and money. There's not anything inherently wrong with that, but it demands a higher level of insurance than a wc3 clan. 

So I have two very similar questions in my inbox about why I’m not on Nova Diplo. Meanwhile, you guys attack people for saying bad things about you guys, and then I get things like this 

ED3AM8ASisxgJMnnzv3bh2wurGs9039XL3XqU2N5CAzx2V5dyKLaBj5rtcZxGgq4QOtBqxJ2FbXlSol8XQYWbn4ZSpw6eodP7R9Xux2Bc2mtz2G_5VE5qXuVHCBXVD74RSkaeYEL

In my inbox, and what am I supposed to say to this? The irony is *probably* not lost on ABDeL, so what point in making this statement, other than to be hurtful? I’ve been having these same arguments for ages. The reason I've stopped responding is that neither phal nor abdel seem to be willing to acknowledge that my distinct desire not to be in a system where someone holds all the cards as a valid one. 

That is a fundamental desire, hammered in in my upbringing.
XsAk4GQgUhj5q9IyrM8YRUCdCW8M64oS-pGFhMClK_lJlqGZdQN5hJSQeb2KqZGZgig-1-KaWDQXAMATfkN7tVrLk9Eaf1JEIcNk2NRWIhQFnIBQ6sdwhHvPT0hsYOqfxKss38zo

In many ways van has once again succinctly put what I could not. These arguments keep descending into defending my own character with ABDel. 
kiSbzCYgKmJF2fQcINATHIPa5oGVgq4FxJyYV5ink79Now3QfYk_-Dxy36wnLOf3qSe34BX2rdMkJsoGX61DJeOyKRvmWFO1L3wdX8TMMO0FgSa83q2b0CNYhS6zjpOCYwixcxQj

In these you can see one of the harder issues; ABDeL and Phal are not a consistent body. I can't argue with both of them about the same issues but with different angles. Am I supposed to believe that Nova Diplo was established purely to spite cniper, or because people didn't want the reforms I was producing? Who knows, because the two most senior people there disagree. 

85HDpRrc-wE2WVY2vKDpyatWYI0G4-hS9O0WamrQ0fw_ZUK7QsyZOxzDZAlJRogOoinT9930aRoYvBIhbuRzLqZVawwUDJS1bElFzb9znViQN_u3W5ZvC1jNZi95fRLK6ybung5r

As for arguing with Phal, how can I do so if the arguments are based on foundations that are *fundamentally* untrue? 

image.thumb.png.9701e35294ea2b172982edbcb663d621.png

And then we get into this final issue, which is your guys arguments don't seem to be reflecting reality any more. Phal, you are discussing issues so far into the mists that you do not remember them correctly, and I have to go digging to disprove it 

unknown.png
(Example) 

And finally so that I can show I've danced this little dance before. 

image.thumb.png.66caa92da62834c4958c5978a12c1b55.png

To make clear my thesis: I believe that Diplo should not be run by a single person, and should not be only about gaming. It's a discussion forum equal parts a gaming one. Hence why I advocated for a discussion community lead, and why the current diplo hierarchy is so crowded. But I'm tired of having to fight against a verbal bulldozer to disprove it. I argued with feanor for many years, and at least arguing with Feanor revolved around him finding smaller and smaller nitpicks until victory. But here? The same argument just keeps getting dragged out, a new coat of paint thrown on it and then thrown at me. Without evidence and screenshots, none of this matters. 

• Informative 1

I could refute the points you posted, but whats the point? How about you stop being transparent only when it makes you look good and makes others look bad?

If you really want me to care how about your arguments share the entire chat.  But you wont because you cant. The chat reveals a context that is lost on the reader when a sliver is cut out to defame this way. 

I'm pretty sure you know that Fergus so I won't give your poor excuse of a hit-job the validation of a refutation. 

That being said,

I'm pretty sure Van is a big boy who can fight his own battles, which I might add, he started. He spread unfounded stories about me. Every lie that came out of DG was related to him in some way. I can't say for certain that it was him in every case but something certainly stinks in his vicinity. Every attempt at discovery of what his real grievances were resulted in more toxicity and defensiveness.

His poor attempts at double binds won't slow me down from scrutinizing his bullshit excuses for being toxic towards me. If someone has beef with me they can say what their beef is or hold their peace. Everything Van does proves that the only reason why he hasn't explained his problems with me is because, deep down, he realizes that they don't hold a candle to scrutiny. Otherwise it would be out there. He'd tell me and people would agree with him. But he knows he's wrong. In addition, Van wishes death and bodily harm upon me, dragged my family into this because I trolled him with a playlist and here you are still defending our exemplar of the community. If you wanted me to take this seriously, you wouldn't have made this mistake in addition to your first. 

In closing, my favorite Surah from the Quran:

1. “Say: O you disbelievers,"
2. “1 worship not what you worship,"
3. “Nor do you worship Whom I worship,"
4. “Neither shall I worship what you worship,"
5. “Nor will you worship Whom I worship,"
6. “To you be your religion, and to me my religion.”

If you dont want to be part of Diplomunion, thats fine. Don't be. I just think its sad. Your'e all adults who can make your own choices. Just keep me out of it. Don't talk about me and just leave me be. Build something of your own that makes you proud, and don't try to change mine. I've made my peace that I can't please everyone and I certainly can't please you. 

At the end I think my system is better because I'm not an ideologue and I match my temperment and attitude to those who approach me. To those who treat me with respect, I'll treat with twice more. To those who treat me with scorn, the same. Everything will be out in the open and nothing will be hidden. 

Edited by Abdel

You have access to those chats too, Abdel. If the context is so important, post it yourself. 

Nah I'm good.

4 hours ago, Abdel said:

I could refute the points you posted, but whats the point? How about you stop being transparent only when it makes you look good and makes others look bad?

If you really want me to care how about your arguments share the entire chat.  But you wont because you cant. The chat reveals a context that is lost on the reader when a sliver is cut out to defame this way. 

Which chat? I'm happy to dude. I did the one I think you mean, but it doesn't change that much 

image.thumb.png.c6aab68f3fc9d86ca4eaea30d177a6ec.png
image.thumb.png.0e66d413896c5ad688614038ffc45158.png

Like, this isn't supposed to be a hit piece at all. It's just me explaining why I wasn't responding to phal's question about why I wasn't on diplo. I thought it was another attempt to rehash the same argument, although I've learned that the two of you have much more separate ideas of what is and isn't a reason to be there. 

4 hours ago, Abdel said:

If you dont want to be part of Diplomunion, thats fine. Don't be. I just think its sad. Your'e all adults who can make your own choices. Just keep me out of it. Don't talk about me and just leave me be. Build something of your own that makes you proud, and don't try to change mine. I've made my peace that I can't please everyone and I certainly can't please you. 

I mean, we'll still talk about you, as you talk about us. I have in fact, searched the chat on nova diplo. But I'm happy to leave you guys alone, that's pretty much what I've been doing. You did after all, message me first. 

3 hours ago, Abdel said:

Nah I'm good.

I think this is the most telling part, my dude. I opened with this: 

6 hours ago, Ser_Fergus said:

I think it's about time to re-institute my 'no claims without screenshots' policy.

But once again; this isn't supposed to be a hit piece. This is supposed to be a standing testament to why I don't want to have to argue any more. My position is out there, and I'm tired of having statements made about my character for having them. It's on diplo gaming, I'm not harassing nova diplo with it. I'm trying to even keep it off of the salty d's. 

'I think it's about time to re-institute my 'no claims without screenshots' policy. I reserve the right to pull quotes out of context and contextualize them in a way that suits me and my arguments. '

Fixed. 

This is a hitjob. You pride yourself on your study of law so:

1. Its the accusers job to build up a valid case, its not my job to help you
2. Its not the defendants job to supply the rope. 

That being said, please post the whole chat if you'd like an actual response. Otherwise, this is just a sorry excuse for an actual take on anything.

8 hours ago, Abdel said:

'I think it's about time to re-institute my 'no claims without screenshots' policy. I reserve the right to pull quotes out of context and contextualize them in a way that suits me and my arguments. '

Fixed. 

This is a hitjob. You pride yourself on your study of law so:

1. Its the accusers job to build up a valid case, its not my job to help you
2. Its not the defendants job to supply the rope. 

That being said, please post the whole chat if you'd like an actual response. Otherwise, this is just a sorry excuse for an actual take on anything.

Uhh, that's not how the display of evidence goes. I've provided evidence, it is now on you to disprove that evidence. This isn't even like, pre lawschool stuff, that's law 12 stuff. 

Once again, what part of the chat? I already posted more of the chat? I'm posting more and there's nothing hugely changing here? It doesn't undermine my central points, which are: 

Arguing with you guys has been circular, and results in saying of mean things to me. Here's the entire log of what happened. You came to speak to me, ostensibly for nice reasons. Then you started to insult me after it was clear that I wasn't just gonna roll over. 

Spoiler

eaccbe77fe1338153ff72b96138fabfd.webp?si

Abdel10/10/2019

Why would you just come and leave?

If I thought trolling like this wouldve got you on the server I wouldve done it months ago

I wanted to apologize for giving you an impossible task that you were never going to be able to fix. It might seem that I slept the rug from underneath you but I have my reasons and I can also explain your faults and mistakes if you'd indulge me. I want to make sure that this is clear, but I didnt move forward with this project until I asked to see your manifesto (chat above) and saw nothing really substantial or ground breaking.

Even on the day we relaunched the community I checked diplo discord, I checked everything and it was all exactly the same

Imagine my shock that when I spoke to Walrus when we met up in North Carolina, he said that cniper shouldve resigned because he still acts like he runs the place.

d2cfd6339cfe1d22d4f2b8edde73c40e.webp?si

Fergus10/10/2019

The reason I joined was for Van. I have an enormous amount of respect for him, and pona had played it up to be him finally snapping. Upon reading the context, it looked like a pretty reasonable response, so I read it, read what Bors had said and then made my exit. I mean, bors says and proves otherwise for the dating of the new system; these plans were already in motion the moment Bors wrote his resignation, I've got receipts. And the concept of democracy of action is still something your server has failed to account for (As in the pastebin writeup), as you stick to the tired adage of 'the community doesn't know what it wants'. Which is why you're asking what games they want to play in a forum thread, I suppose. If you think the state of the current diplo discord is identical, I've got nothing to say about that. But CNiper acts like he runs the place, but can't act on it, as our last community meeting proved. He got slapped until he left CLs alone. After having been in templin for a few years now, I don't want to be part of a community where the administration thinks they can be more in touch with the needs and wants of a member base than the members themselves.

Abdel10/10/2019

I mean, bors says and proves otherwise for the dating of the new system; these plans were already in motion the moment Bors wrote his resignation, I've got receipts.
This is categorically false and I'd be very happy if you shared those receipts with me. Bors had no part in building up the new community as he was very busy at the time I was doing all the work.

And the concept of democracy of action is still something your server has failed to account for (As in the pastebin writeup), as you stick to the tired adage of 'the community doesn't know what it wants'. Which is why you're asking what games they want to play in a forum thread, I suppose. 
The community needs direction and a driver. The driver should take input from the passengers for the journey to be a success but too many drivers on the wheel and you crash the car, or go nowhere. At the end of the day we're a community of friends and we're friends first primarily. This isn't a nation-state or a large reddit community, its a circle of friends who own a website and discord, and those things need to be managed. I'm happy to hear you guys are keeping cniper in check, we actually do none of that in our current staff because we understand we're friends first and so whatever goes against the code of friendship also goes against the code of being a director.

I don't want to be part of a community where the administration thinks they can be more in touch with the needs and wants of a member base than the members themselves.
We never claimed this either. But when you manage a large community people want to do different things and go different places and you have to manage that in a way that benefits everyone

Fergus10/10/2019

unknown.png?width=400&height=99

Abdel10/10/2019

Thats incredibly vague

Fergus10/10/2019

>Provides proof

>Oh that's not good enough

and so the circle continues

Abdel10/10/2019

Thats literally not proof lol

Lose control of the forums <> We will re-establish a new community

please

Abdel10/10/2019

and he is in check

and the community didnt know what it wanted

Fergus10/10/2019

Lol, no it knew better than phal did

as PP now proves

Abdel10/10/2019

This is the problem I have with people like you

Fergus10/10/2019

All three of the things you said to argue me have now been denied; and now you move the goalposts

Abdel10/10/2019

You're pointing to Phal and Bors like I'm responsible

What have I said, what have I done?

Fergus10/10/2019

They're part of your staff, aren't they?

Abdel10/10/2019

Yes and they operate entire differently right now

Fergus10/10/2019

And from what I saw last night, I have no reason to believe that

Abdel10/10/2019

Bors got demoted, what beef do you have with phal now? lol

Fergus10/10/2019

Here's a better question; what proof do you have he's not acting like the above statement

he sent me an enormous paragraph a week or so ago that I still haven't responded to that basically comes down to him trying to 'logic' why what I want isn't actually correct

Abdel10/10/2019

They agreed to put themselves under a system where I hold the cards and they can't sabotage the community again. They stated their grievances and they said that with me in charge they wont have anymore.

Fergus10/10/2019

And one person in charge is fundamentally what I disagree with

Abdel10/10/2019

Bors ended up having grievances and went back on his word so he's demoted

Phal leads at my pleasure and consults me before every decision. He has stated repeatedly he is acting chief director until my baby is more developed and doesnt need so much of my time in care

We have an admin chat where 75% of our discussions are viewable to valued members, and valued members are about the majority of our membership

Fergus10/10/2019

But there's no accountability! What are they supposed to do if you go off the rails on a major issue rather than the existence of a schism? Cry? Hope for the best? I don't really care what you guys do. You built your new system, and I was ground up in the gears of doing it. I'm not that bitter, but I am certainly not going to take part in it and I've given my reasons as to why

Abdel10/10/2019

Why is denying the schism such a big deal?

wait so you mean if I shitpost on DG its ok but if I shitpost on diplo its not?

Fergus10/10/2019

Because it's a denial of something that was blatantly obvious to 90+% of the community

And pulling back and saying 'it was just a meme' is the equivalent of that image of the guy going

"I was just pretending to be retarded!"

Abdel10/10/2019

So memes not allowed, got it

Fergus its like you dont even know me

Fergus10/10/2019

Dude I read that last night

Abdel10/10/2019

And that explains a lot

Fergus10/10/2019

there was nothing memey about it at all

and everyone else was acting like it was a serious position

Abdel10/10/2019

yes because I stuck to my guns

lol Fergus really?

I dont know whats worse, that I'm not allowed to troll, or my schism denial is enough for you to distance yourself as a friend

Lets be clear though, I went back to DG, I tried to maintain relationships

Cniper re-opened the drama and I ended up leaving as a result

I know I did you wrong but I honestly expected more when you were piecing the humpty dumpty back together again

Fergus10/10/2019

It's not the schism denial that's the issue though

Abdel10/10/2019

I do think its a little extreme that you view me as some adversarial leader as opposed to the person who likes to shitpost and troll

Fergus10/10/2019

I think you need to reread the sentence I said

Every leader and position of authority will eventually come into conflict with its subordinates

I've had nearly four years in the army to show me that. Every leader/commander/ruler needs something to hold them in check. Nobody is perfect.

Abdel10/10/2019

yes and we have that. We have rules and guidelines that every director must follow. If they dont, they go the way a la bors

Fergus10/10/2019

But what holds you in check?

Abdel10/10/2019

nothing

Fergus10/10/2019

Exactly.

Abdel10/10/2019

Fergus

Every system has a lynchpin

it doesnt matter how democratic they are

thats just how things are

Fergus10/10/2019

and they shouldn't be the top of the system

Abdel10/10/2019

we can delude ourselves and say they aren't, but they are

Fergus10/10/2019

they should be an oversight that gets no power and no authority so that they are as far removed from the system of governance as possible

Abdel10/10/2019

If people are unhappy with the way I manage, they'll leave

I'm unhappy because you haven't even given me a chance to prove anything to you because you have a hate boner

Fergus10/10/2019

And that's exactly the attitude why I'm not there

Abdel10/10/2019

So the difference is

you're not here for political reasons. While I wish you were for friend reasons

you dont think thats a little fucked up?

Fergus10/10/2019

Sure don't. You could join DG if you want to hang out with me

Or hell, I've got a bunch of other servers

Where I spend my time

Abdel10/10/2019

I have already expressed my reasons for leaving DG and I think they're more legitimate than your reasons

Fergus10/10/2019

And I just presented an alternative

Abdel10/10/2019

I dont want to play footsie to maintain a relationship with you

Fergus10/10/2019

So your answer is, I should have to move not you?

Abdel10/10/2019

we can move to each other. I'll consider rejoining DG if you view us as friends again instead of political adversaries

There's currently no reason for me to be on DG but if I have more reasons to be there than not, I'll rejoin

part of that is having my friends actually be fucking friends again

and not charge me for crimes that I could possibly commit that I havent committed yet

Fergus10/10/2019

I mean, it's the system not the person I take issue with

Abdel10/10/2019

Are you saying you sign off on every discord's community system that you join?

Fergus10/10/2019

It wouldn't matter to me if it was you, phal or bors in the dictatorial position

I sure do

if I'm gonna be active there

Abdel10/10/2019

Fergus, the difference between a discord 'dictatorship' and an actual dictatorship is that real life dictatorships restrict freedom of movement

so I'm going to retract my answer here

Fergus10/10/2019

Templin, I worked for a year and a bit to reform it. Even my IRL friends discord I had us unseat the guy who ran it and give it to a bot so he wouldn't abuse/mute people

Abdel10/10/2019

I am held in check by the members

If I dont answer to the members, we wont grow

they will leave

I will lose everything, it will all be for nothing

Its easy as hell to make a new discord, and if I seriously fuck up, old diploers will flock to DG discord

excuse me if I sound frustrated but lots of diploers treat me as an adversary just because cniper needed to be taken down a notch

As if I'm not the same old troll shitposter

I do play more games now infact. Less political wrangling and swift action on complaints means I have more time to do that now, even with a baby

Anyways, I got a court hearing to attend, I'll catch you later

Fergus10/10/2019

Alright, catch you later dude

October 11, 2019

Abdel10/11/2019

download_20191011_095627.jpg?width=400&h

6th of March.

Fergus10/11/2019

I mean that’s still 2 days before you got my rules and mission statement...

So it was being planned before then and now you were actually taking tangible actions?

I’m not sure what the argument here is

Abdel10/11/2019

I could've went back on it at any moment

It took weeks to load the database

It's not like I had the site built on that day I was working on other things if you remember

Fergus10/11/2019

Sure, but that's still part of 'moving forward':
unknown.png?width=400&height=29

Your initial statement was fairly flawed, and moving the posts just kinda wastes both of our times

Abdel10/11/2019

Actually hold up

Key detail here

Fergus10/11/2019

We could argue what constitutes a step forward

Abdel10/11/2019

Made account march 6th, free trial expired 3 days later. First purchase march 10th

I have all emails here

Fergus10/11/2019

but the reality is that it's all part of the intent there. I really, really don't care that you guys were working on a rival project

spank and bors were going to try and do something with or without you

Abdel10/11/2019

By that, I didnt commit financially towards this until I saw your work, but yes there was intent

Spank wasnt even involved at this point

Fergus10/11/2019

Spank was definitely trying to do his own thing

Abdel10/11/2019

Eagleman was trying to do his own thing

Everyone was

Fergus10/11/2019

When he got banned he was rallying everyone everywhere to get bors to take the forums and build his own little kingdom

didn't know about eagle but that's more or less my point

Abdel10/11/2019

He got banned probably a week after I started working on the site(edited)

Iirc

Actually hold up

The plot thickens

Fergus10/11/2019

unknown.png?width=400&height=158

pretty sure it was actually the same day

or close to it

Abdel10/11/2019

So I'm going off memory here and cross referencing what I have

I know I jumped things into hyperdrive when spank was banned because I was extremely pissed off

Spank also banned march 6th

In fact, the free trial begins 10 minutes after his suspension

I remember something kicked it all in high gear, I forgot I started working on a new site the minute he was banned

So heres the timeline that I can corroborate with emails: 1. Grumbles about whether or not we should reboot the community. Not sure, mostly demoralized and demotivated 2. March 6th spankfurt gets banned. I immediately start a free trial. 3. I check in with you to check your progress, when I dont see anything that I can bring back to the group that's substantial, we make the financial dive. 4. March 10th first purchase made on Invision

So that dispels the notion that we were actively moving to establish a new community the day we had left

And I know you said you dont care, but its important for me for you to know that I'm telling you the truth and I'm sharing everything I have

Fergus10/11/2019

Sure, but that's not really my main issue: The very first statement is questionable at best and that was what I was taking issue with. I do appreciate that you consulted what I was doing, but you were also still moving forward before seeing the documentation. I would like to see the email on the tenth if you don't mind(edited)

whoops

fat fingers

Abdel10/11/2019

If you want to come to your own conclusion based on my 'receipts' so be it

I'm just adding my context

But the idea of spankfurt trying to get bors to do anything apart from drinking to an early bedtime is amusing lol

Fergus10/11/2019

You were on customs yeah? It probably would have happened eventually, just probably been pretty shite and burned out in a month

cuz spank would've memed on to his next great plan

Abdel10/11/2019

Customs?

Trench's discord?

Fergus10/11/2019

yeah

Abdel10/11/2019

Yeah I was there

Well my Spanks own admission he only came on board once he was convinced that this was a project worth working on. Admittedly, he was gleeful that cniper was going to taste medicine in some way but he didnt ask to be part of the team until April and then joined officially in May iirc

He was part of the old guard staff so he already had his work cut out for him

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this