Sign in to follow this  
Gawain

Michael Cohen Testimony

Livestream: 

PDF of opening statement: https://www.politico.com/f/?id=00000169-2d31-dc75-affd-bfb99a790001

Thoughts? I think all of this stuff is just confirming things we basically already knew. 

Trump knew about the email scandal before it happened 

Trump originally planned on using the presidential campaign as a self advertisement 

Trump used hush money on multiple occasions.

So is Cohen just trying to save his own ass, or does any of this hold water? 

I honestly stopped following this nonsense a long time ago. The US whining about Russian interference in US elections is two-faced crap. The US intervenes in other countries domestic political matters routinely, and with military force at times (Libya anyone? How about the current mess in Venezuela?). After that they lose any right to complain about some Russian information campaigns.

• This 1

13 minutes ago, Feanor said:

The US whining about Russian interference in US elections is two-faced crap. The US intervenes in other countries domestic political matters routinely, and with military force at times (Libya anyone? How about the current mess in Venezuela?)

The difference is that the US is the largest economy in the world. I wouldn't ever argue that messing with the political affairs of another country is acceptable, but there is a big difference between rigging the election of the worlds largest superpower and rigging the election of a minor South American country. 

8 minutes ago, Gawain said:

The difference is that the US is the largest economy in the world. I wouldn't ever argue that messing with the political affairs of another country is acceptable, but there is a big difference between rigging the election of the worlds largest superpower and rigging the election of a minor South American country. 

If Russia really had that kind of influence, they wouldn't be in the awkward geopolitical spot that they're in right now. I don't for a second believe that Russia has the ability to actually rig the election. I think the main factors behind Trump's victory are two-fold; 1) people are tired of the same old corrupt assholes and Trump came across as an anti-establishment candidate and 2) people really hated Hillary, and with good reason. Russia certainly jumped on the Trump bandwagon but that's hardly "rigging the election".

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Feanor said:

Russia certainly jumped on the Trump bandwagon but that's hardly "rigging the election".

Lets be clear here: In this particular testimony, nobody is saying the election was rigged. Cohen said he didn't know whether or not Trump colluded with Russia, but that he had his suspicions. Most of Cohen's testimony is basically saying Trump used the campaign as a giant money making scheme. 

Just now, Gawain said:

Lets be clear here: In this particular testimony, nobody is saying the election was rigged. Cohen said he didn't know whether or not Trump colluded with Russia, but that he had his suspicions. Most of Cohen's testimony is basically saying Trump used the campaign as a giant money making scheme. 

Like I said, I'm not following it so I mostly don't care what the testimony says. I was responding to your post, and the verbage "rigged election" comes from you not me. Just to be clear I 1) don't think Russia rigged the US elections or has anywhere near that kind of soft power and 2) don't think the US has any room to complain about Russian information campaigns regarding US elections, after the kind of behavior the US engages in.

The issue here being less that they are doing it, and more with american citizens cooperating with it. 

2 minutes ago, Ser_Fergus said:

The issue here being less that they are doing it, and more with american citizens cooperating with it. 

I don't think the American people would knowingly allow blatant corruption if they could stop it. 

31 minutes ago, Gawain said:

I don't think the American people would knowingly allow blatant corruption if they could stop it. 

It depends on how you look at it. For example if Russia has proof that Hillary Clinton is corrupt, what do you do? Help bury it, or help bring it to the public spotlight? If you do the first you're guilty of helping Russia tamper with the elections. If you do the second you're covering up corruption.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this